Tuesday, January 03, 2006

An Obituary, But Yeah, It's A Good Thing...

So, for starters, the old horse finally breathed it's last kilobite. On New Year's eve, I took apart the old boy, my Compaq 486, for a cleaning and to re-attach the sound card that had become loose. The back was filled with dustballs, grime and other odd little things, like a Teletubbies CD that one of the children must have physically pushed through the tiny space under the CD-ROM. I cleaned it up, put it all back together, and...nothing. We tried, but it was too late. Even when it was new it wasn't much of a computer, but it got me where I am, so, it's a bit sad. It was way back when, (97?) when I first tried to put a comic up on an AOL website. I then went to a place called usaserve.net, (I think) where I stayed until Keenspot launched in 2000. All the while my trusty Compaq was by my side, creaking and squeaking but always working. Now, you have to understand that I'm one of those people that will use something until it falls apart, literally. I can afford new sneakers, but I've worn pairs until there was no sole left on one of the shoes. The old boy has a cable modem but my speed is something closer to dial-up. So, yeah...dead. I salute you.

Anyway, what that means is that there will be a delay in the relaunch of the new website. The new computer is boxed and on it's way, with promises of many cool things. I'm looking at Wednesday, January 11 as the new date. And it will be cool. I'll be debuting something I've wanted to do for a long time, and I'm pretty excited. It's turning out very well. And, finally, I'll be able to do this full time. Starting January 11, youdamnkid.com and it's contents will be my job. I know there's been many false starts before, a lot of missed updates, etc. because life and the need for real income always intruded. Enough promises. It's up to me to convince you, and I'm looking forward to it.

Yeah, and a blog, too. (And a picture too! Do I look like you imagined?)

9 comments:

Tom Easton said...

People forget that if a gadget does what you need done, it's working just fine, and it can keep working until it breaks.

Actually, the American economy depends on people forgetting that, and there is an entire industry (advertising) dedicated to helping them do so.

Good luck with the new box, and I hope you have someone helpful nearby.

Tom

Owen Dunne said...

As soon as the new computer gets here, lots more stuff. I don't have a scanner yet, well, I do but it's old and useless and the drivers only work in Win95, (that's how old the whole thing is)

RQ Whitaker said...

Actually I thought you would look like Ted Danson....

Mr. Nutty said...

Jesus, a 486? My hat is off to you, sir. I think my coffee maker has a faster processor than that. Way to get your money's worth, though.

Congratulations on being able to do YDK full time. I'm looking forward to being able to get my fix on a more regular basis. Keep up the good work!

Oh, and Ernie Keebler dying for our sins was absolute genius! I literally cannot look at that comic without laughing out loud.

Germán said...

That image fits Owen Dunne perfectly :P

I can't wait to see what you have in store for your fans.

Lockheed said...

being a geek-type, id like to let you know that u could probably hook that old hard drive up to new pc and get everything off of it... if it hasn't gone belly up too. ;)

Lockheed said...

...and no you don't look like i imagined which was basically YDK but older. Now THERE's an image for a comic.

Owen Dunne said...

I actually got the thing to start up today, but ran into another problem. It won't recognize the keyboard, so when it starts up and goes into that "Windows didn't close properly so we're going to scan your drive for problems" mode I can't get out of it, because I need to use the keyboard to click out of that (something about an extra long filename). I've tried different keyboards but no luck. As Micah said, I know I can steal the old hard drive but if I could get this puppy running just one more time it'd be quicker.

Lord Pasternack said...

I daresay I imagined you as a fat balding man in his early 30's.

You actually look quite, eery, in the photo. Like the villain in a children's movie or something.