Tuesday, January 24, 2006

No, thank you...

Every once in awhile I'll get an email from someone serving in the armed forces over in Iraq, or Afghanistan, or somewhere not very pleasant doing things that aren't very pleasant. Their emails are always thoughtful and well written, usually thanking me for providing a diversion for a few moments because they enjoy my comics.

That always gets me. Thank me? I'm just sitting in my den, writing my silly words and drawing my funny pictures. I'm not dodging mortar fire or worried about land mines and roadside bombs. Cuz believe you me, if there was live ammunition of any kind involved in cartooning there would be no YDK or any other comic I do.

No matter your thoughts on Iraq, the fact is that we have to have an army, there has to be people who volunteer to do these things so the rest of us don't have to. Once, in my early teens, I said to my dad "If you and mom would have had me sooner I'd have my driver's license by now." Dad smiled and said, "yeah, and you'd have gone to Vietnam, too."

Uh uh. I'll wait.

So as the title of this little ditty says, no...thank you.

No comments: