Thursday, January 05, 2006

Geraldo...geez.

Let me say up front that the only reason I found myself watching "Geraldo At Large" is because I keep forgetting they've replaced the 10:30 pm "Seinfeld" reun. So there.

He's interviewing a relative of the one West Virginia miner who survived-just after she's discovered he is alive-and asks her "Is this a huge burden off your chest?"

Wow. I mean...wow. Is the fact that you've just learned on of your family members is not dead a good thing?

Now, this exchange gets replayed the following night, as Geraldo feels the need to recap a good portion of his show with everything that went on the night before. That's okay, the entire media was doing this all day yesterday. But I'm assuming that Geraldo - seeing as how his name is on the title and he probably has some kind of editorial control over his show - might have seen the clips they planned to run that evening. And I'm thinking, if it were me, or anyone with, I don't know, common sense might see that and say "don't use the clip of me standing there with a cell phone asking such an idiotic question."

I guess, um, not.

4 comments:

Mr. Nutty said...

But Geraldo cares about people. He cares enough to ask the kinds of hard hitting (read: mind-numbingly stupid) questions that we, the viewing public, crave the answers to. He has mad journalism skillz, yo.

I remember watching hurricane Rita coverage of him at a shelter someplace, asking people crap like "does it suck that your entire life is ruined?" Then he went on to talk about how he's hot shit and can empathize because he can't find a hotel and has to stay at the shelter that night, too. Wow...One night. We're all so impressed. I think he talked more about how he was staying there than he did about anything else that was going on. Maybe if people stop watching and his ratings drop, Fox will decide to go Howard Beale on his ass and we won't have to deal with him anymore.

Jesus tits, that man is a douche.

Pat J said...

Nothin' says "journalism" like inane, leading questions. Unless it's time-filling over-analysis of sparse facts that may well turn out to be meaningless when the bigger picture finally presents itself.

Raymond Betancourt said...

The man is truly a legend in his own mind. Why, oh why, didn't somebody lock him in Al Capone's "vault" when they had a chance?

RQ Whitaker said...

Would it be a cheap shot to go after the mustache?

I mean, honestly I don't think he takes himself too seriously because he constantly makes an ass of himself on national tv.